Friday, January 28, 2011

Dan Choi to Army over Discharge Bill: Nuts!

The U.S. Army has sent Lt. Dan Choi a bill for $2,500.00 for his discharge for being gay.  The letter Choi received states the money is for the "unearned portion of your enlistment or reenlistment bonus."  That's right, America, the Army kicked him out for being gay and is charging him for it.  Lt. Choi sent President Obama a letter:

"By flagrantly and repeatedly violating an immoral law, I have flagrantly and repeatedly saluted the honor of America's promise. At West Point, when we recited the Cadet Prayer we reminded ourselves "always to choose the harder right over the easier wrong." It would be easy to pay the $2500 bill and be swiftly done with this diseased chapter of my life, where I sinfully deceived and tolerated self-hatred under Don't Ask Don't Tell. Many thousands have wrestled with their responsibilities and expedient solutions when confronted with issues of this magnitude. I understand you also wrestle with issues of our equality. But I choose to cease wrestling, to cease the excuses, to cease the philosophical grandstanding and ethical gymnastics of political expediency in the face of moral duty. My obligations to take a stand, knowing all the continued consequences of my violations, are clear. I refuse to pay your claim."

h/t LC NY Bureau Chief Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment